Updated Bieler's Broth
I learned about this soup from my friend and mentor, Dr. Charley Cropley. Charley is a local naturopath who believes in the healing power of self-love and kindness. This soup is extra kind to your insides. If you've got any kind of digestive distress, Bieler's broth is your friend. If you feel like you're getting a cold or have an infection, leave out the sweet potato.
- Bring broth, water, sweet potatoes and salt to a boil in a large stockpot that has a lid. Lower to a simmer and cook until potatoes are soft, about 20-30 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add green beans, zucchini, and leafy greens. Cover for a few moments so that the vegetables only slightly cook. Add garlic, ginger and chili flakes.
- Blend in batches or with an immersion blender. Reheat gently if needed.
- Serve with avocado slices, a squeeze of lemon, and a little sprinkle of sea salt. Other yummy toppings include cilantro, curry powder, and/or green onions.
2 quarts bone broth
1 quart filtered water
1 large sweet potato, cubed
1 tsp sea salt
1 pound green beans, roughly chopped
2 zucchini, roughly chopped
1 bunch leafy greens, stemmed and roughly chopped
1/2 bunch of celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2-inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp chili flakes (optional)
I keep jars of this soup in the freezer to pull out if I feel like I'm coming down with something. Freaked out about freezing glass? Liquids expand when they freeze, so you have to give them the space to do so. Here's the trick:
- Make sure there's at least an inch of space between the top of your liquid and the lid.
- Cool your totally in the fridge.
- Put in the freezer with the lid on very loosely, or not at all.
- Freeze overnight before tightening lid.
Have you tried Bieler's Broth before, or another green soup? Let me know your thoughts and experience in the comments below!
Hungry for more? Sign up to get my love letters in your inbox.
Bonus! You'll get a free download of my popular workbook "An Introduction to Intuition" when you subscribe.