Do you talk to yourself?
Almost all of us have a distorted image of our body. We talk to ourselves in ways we would never speak to another. Imagine speaking to a child the way you speak to yourself about your body. It would devastate them! It affects you similarly; causing stress and emotional pain in your body, making healing or losing weight even more difficult.
The body you have right now is incredible!
It never misses a heartbeat, it maintains homeostasis and it miraculously digests whatever you put in it. It is your instrument to express your creativity, intelligence and love. By focusing on the 1% you wish were different, you are ignoring the remaining 99% about your body that is beautiful, unique and delightful.
When I go to yoga class, I am amazed at the way my body stretches, especially my back and neck. Instead of being frustrated that I can’t do a handstand without assistance, I am impressed by the way my body carries out all of the silly commands that I give it. In thanks, I drink lots of water before class, take a warm shower afterwards, and eat a satisfying meal. This is how I am sweet with my body.
Make peace with your body.
What would your life be like if you were simply at peace with the body you have? You may wish to make your body healthier and stronger, but could you do that out of love and respect for your body instead of the opposite? Could you begin to treat yourself with sweetness, and to limit the negative self-talk? Take a minute to imagine what that would feel like; celebrating your body rather than punishing it, nourishing your body rather than depriving it. Watch your body flourish when treated with care and respect.
If you're ready to lean in to your relationship with your body, check out An Introduction to Self-Love, a downloadable workbook that I wrote for folks just like you.