My buddy Serge is the most rugged outdoor man I know. Everyday before work, he runs on the trails around Boulder, and every weekend he is out in the mountains. A guy like this wants to spend his money on gear, not on snacks. We fiddled with this recipe until we found the perfect trail snack.
2 cups cashews
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup almond butter
2 cups soft Medjool dates, pitted
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 scoop of protein powder (I like this one)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the nuts and coconut to your food processor and blend until crumbly.
- Add protein powered and sea salt and blend well.
- Add dates, almond butter, coconut oil, and vanilla and process again until a sticky, uniform batter is formed. Taste for salt.
- Using damp hand, roll the batter into small balls. You could make bars, but balls are faster.
- Store in the fridge until you're ready to serve them. Pop a couple in the freezer the night before a big day out, so they stay cool on your adventure.
You could roll these little balls in cacao powder, chia seeds or more coconut flakes, or just keep them plain. Take them out on a hike with you, or keep them in the fridge at work for a mid-afternoon snack.